Howdy! My name is Doug Slauson and am pleased to offer my services as a bagpiper for all occasions throughout the Central Texas Area. PIease feel free to browse my site and contact me with any questions as to how I can help make your event the most memorable!
I have been playing the pipes since 2003 and have won numerous awards at competitions throughout the US, including taking third place in Grade 2 overall for the 2009 season in the Eastern US Pipe Band Association. Over the years, I have played for many different occasions, including weddings, funerals, birthdays, festivals, and retirement parties. I am a member of the Silver Thistle Pipes and Drums and at the end of the 2011 season, I was named the Pipe Major for that band, taking over from the band's longest serving Pipe Major, Ken Liechti. As of January 2019, I am playing the pipes as a part of Austin Opera's production of the Pulitzer Prize winning opera, Silent Night. I have also been teaching both private and group lessons since 2009.
Supporting Your Event
I have a large repertoire of tunes that fit with any occasion. This includes many of the old classics such as Highland Wedding, Scotland the Brave, The Green Hills of Tyrol, and Skye Boat Song, to name just a few. If you have some more energetic tunes in mind, I also have a large repertoire of strathspeys, reels, hornpipes and jigs. I can work with you to include a series of tunes appropriate to your occasion. If you would like me to play a special tune that is not in my current repertoire, all I ask is that you give me sufficient time to obtain the music and learn the tune. I have also been known to compose a tune or two if that is what you're looking for! If you would like a short presentation on the history and working of the bagpipe, I can put that together as well.
Some of the services I can perform include:
- Weddings - processional, recessional, and sets before and after the service
- Funerals and memorial services - Playing before, during or after the service.
- Educational sets - Demonstrating the pipes and the different types of music, including a discussion of the history of the instrument and music.
- Celebrations - Fun and energetic tunes to add to your celebration!
- Recording Sessions - Add that "certain something" to your band's next CD.
- Lessons for all levels from beginner to advanced.
- Bagpipe maintenance - already play the pipes? I can help you get the best possible sound out of your pipes!
Contact me and I'll be happy to work with you on your event! Or teach you how to play the pipes!
Silver Thistle Pipes & Drums
Would you prefer a mini band or even a full band of both pipers and drummers? You can either contact me or the Band Manager at Silver Thistle and we will be glad to schedule a band performance with you.